Monday, January 25, 2010

Working Together

I LOVE to see the networking that takes place between different groups and individuals to accomplish the most good. Here is a story about a flight that Will White (pilot pictured here) and Mark Williams took a few days ago.

This morning MAF had been scheduled to take a team of doctors to Pignon. The night before, someone called and cancelled the flight, so we were not expecting to do it and did not go in early. The doctors showed up about 9am and I told them they would have to wait until after a flight that was previously scheduled. We had arranged for a film crew to fly to the island of La Gonave. We were dropping off food supplies and picking up a team that was inspecting the Wesleyan hospital for damage from the earthquake.

When we arrived at La Gonave, Dan Irvine, the director of the mission, said he had a 9-year-old girl whose feet had BOTH been crushed in the earthquake. The hospital on the island had done all they could and they needed to find an orthopedic doctor in Port au Prince (PAP) for surgery. According to Dan her feet looked like "ground beef" and if infection set in would be fatal quickly. I agreed to wait for her to show up at the plane.

On the flight back, Dan was sitting next to me. Knowing the huge strain on the field hospitals in PAP, I was not hopeful of the girl finding an ortho unit to perform surgery. I asked Dan about it and he said he thought he had a contact that might help.

As I was flying back I started to think about the doctors that were waiting for me in PAP. I seemed sure they had said they were orthopedic surgeons. When we arrived in PAP, I taxied to my parking place and ALL of the doctors were standing right next to the plane with all their supplies. I told Dan I thought that they were an ortho team and introduced them to each other. In no time the team was examining the girl and making plans to take her directly to the Pignon hospital. We removed the girl from the plane to fuel it, and they were able to start an IV and examine her more thoroughly.

After loading the plane I was able to fly 3 doctors, the girl and her mother to Pignon. I asked the doctors to let me know how the surgery went and to follow up about her. It was so exciting to see how God worked the events of the day to bring these two groups together. I was humbled to be a part of it.

Will White; MAF Pilot, Haiti
January 22, 2010

1 comment:

  1. I have been reading some of the blogs of care given to the injured in Haiti. Being a pilot I have been following several of the MAF blogs. (MAF once gave me a lift in Kenya.) When I read your post about networking together I realized I had read pieces of the same story on different blogs from different people who were involved in helping this little girl. Below are the links in case you have not found these all yourself. (I am pretty sure these are all about the same little girl.)

    http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2010/01/25/newsstory14439997t0.asp
    Parent of girl whose feet had been trapped under a wall for three days in Port-au-Prince take her to Island of La Gonave for care.
    Lemon Aid arranges a flight for themselves and girl with MAF

    http://edgertonblog.blogspot.com/
    MAF Pilot tells the story of networking that takes place between different groups and individuals to accomplish the most good.

    http://stjosephtowsoninhaiti.blogspot.com/2010/01/we-left-port-au-prince-on-friday.html
    Surgeons tell the story

    http://kphaitirelief.wordpress.com/2010/02/02/update-from-pignon-incredible-resilience/
    More on the story from the Hospital


    Thank you for sharing yourself and your stories. Now that Haiti is no longer the top news story the blogs help keep Haiti in peoples minds and hearts.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete