Saturday, July 3, 2010

To Fetch a Pail of Water

In the US I am a "drink water from the tap" kind of a girl, but in other countries I have always used filtered water in order to avoid unnecessary sickness. When we were in Pignon (Piyon) doing language school it was complicated to buy water, so we began using a clay filter which has always done great. Here in Port, our house water comes from rain water which is collected on our house's flat concrete roof (picture of our neighbor's roof which collects water). While Todd was in the States this last time, the drain got plugged with leaves and debris, so water pooled on the roof and began growing organic things. It smelled funny when it came out of the faucet, so we added chlorine. The clay filter is ineffective if the water to filter is chlorinated, so we began using another ceramic filter (pictured). Todd is planning to clean out the cistern today, but since we have a guest staying with us and I did not entirely trust the integrity of the water I decided to buy a couple 5 gallon jugs of water from the grocery store last night.
The store is just a few blocks away, but I had forgotten the process of buying water and why I love our filter so much. First of all, you have to take your own jugs. Unfortunately, ours were still in the kitchen. I thought I would save time by going inside the store to buy the few groceries I needed and at the same time purchase 2 water tickets that you hand to the guy outside dispensing the water jugs. The cashier said that was not possible if I did not have my jugs. So I paid for my things, drove home, got my jugs, and went back. I handed my jugs to the water dispenser guy, but unfortunately I had the wrong kind of jug.....Culligan instead of five other kinds that they had. Never knew anyone cared about that.... Fortunately I asked him where they sell Culligan, and he directed me to a pharmacy right across the street. I got their last two bottles!! :) Ahhhhh!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment